Saturday, May 5, 2007

Are You Glad to Be Here?

Are You Glad to Be Here?


I saw an interesting bulletin board Sunday at church. The ESL class participants had replied to the question, “Why did you come to America?” Oscar wrote, “I came looking for better opportunity and better style of life, but I find the best thing, ‘This is Jesus.’ He is in my life. Thanks so much.” Guevara said, “I came to see this country because I heard about beautiful country. I like it.” Maria responded, “I came because I need work for a better life and help my family and learn English than I can learn in my country.” Nancizo said, “I came to learn English and know more about American culture. It was a hard decision in my life, but I believe it was right because I have met great people here. I have met great teachers and great humans. If one day I have to leave this country, I will miss this church and its people.” Nolvia simply wanted “to have a better life.” Dales wrote, “I want to know more about this culture, and I want to graduate from high school. I guess this education is wonderful for me. After this I hope I can get a good job and help my family.” Jose said, “I needed to make more money and get a better way to live for my family. In my country, old people like me cannot get good opportunities looking for jobs. There are a lot of young people trying to get the same for their families. I thanks and say, ‘Thanks, my Lord, because I got a job, and I can make it.’ God bless America and their people.” In his photo, Jose looked to be about thirty years old. “I came to U.S. for a great reason – to improve myself and help my family and to live a little better than before, if God allows,” wrote Bernardo. Juan said, “I came to the U.S. to see, and I liked it very much, and I started to work.” I especially liked what Peter wrote: “Our daughter, son, and our grandson live here. We like living here because it is a free country.”

These people are truly thankful for the opportunities they find in the U.S. They actually like it, and they want to learn our language. They are eager to learn more about our culture. Why don’t most native-born Americans feel privileged to live here?

According to a Newsweek poll, 67 percent of Americans are unhappy with our country’s direction, and 69 percent are unhappy with President Bush. We have one of the highest standards of living in the world. We have electricity, running water, climate controlled homes and shops, and the world’s best network of interstate highways. We can drive “from sea to shining sea” on great roads without stopping to show a passport or to change our money from state to state. We have restaurants, hotels, churches, schools, post offices, fire departments, phone service, cablevision, treated water, excellent medical care, free libraries, and law enforcement in nearly early town. Our homes have televisions, telephones, and labor-saving devices. Familes take vacations, buy houses, have several cars, and own computers and all sorts of other electronic equipment. Teenagers have cellphones, cars, and nice clothes.

Stop listening to the media tell you how unhappy you are. Think for yourself and thank God for all the blessings He has showered on our country. Learn from people who were not blessed to be born here. You may not miss our way of life until it’s gone.

No comments: